The South of France—East Half — Reading Notes

(0 User reviews)   30
In Category - Geography
Black, C. B. (Charles Bertram), 1822-1906 Project Gutenberg 2008 Not confirmed
France -- Description and travel; France -- Guidebooks Readers of public-domain and historical texts
Project Gutenberg digital edition en

Edition facts

Words 199,578
Reading time 868 min
Text sections 27

The South of France—East Half — Reading Notes can be approached with a clearer sense of reading commitment from its source measurements: 199,578 words, 14 hr 28 min estimated reading time, and 27 detected text sections.

The text analysis averages about 12.5 words per sentence, while the detected sections provide another way to judge how the source is divided.

Project Gutenberg metadata also associates the work with “France -- Description and travel,” connecting these edition facts with the source record’s subject description.

C. B. Black's 1885 guidebook to the South of France—East Half offers detailed route-based travel information, with precise hotel ratings, historical anecdotes, and vivid descriptions of the Riviera, from Monaco's gambling rooms to local customs.
Share
Editorial Edition Score 4.9/5

Calculated from edition completeness, EPUB availability, text structure and catalogue metadata. Not a user rating.

How this score is calculated
  • Description quality20 pts
  • Title & short description10 pts
  • Source metadata20 pts
  • Text length15 pts
  • Chapters / structure15 pts
  • EPUB file integrity20 pts

Total of 100 points, scaled to a 2.5-5.0 range. Editions with an empty description or a missing EPUB file are not scored.

Edition quality

Read the Text

f about two million pounds sterling. Troyes is famous for the number and beauty of its churches, of which the most important is the Cathedral of St. Pierre et St. Paul, situated at the eastern side of the town, the railway station being on the western or opposite side. This edifice, among the most beautiful 12

in France, was commenced in 1208, but as it was not finished till the end of the 16th century, represents the different styles of these intermediate epochs. The fine western façade belongs to the 16th century, while the portal of the N. transept belongs to the 13th. Three hundred and seventy-eight steps lead to the top of the tower rising above the western façade. The building is 352 feet long, and the transept 154 feet. Two spacious aisles run up each side of the nave, separated by clustered columns supporting pointed arches, the front row being surmounted by a narrow mullioned triforium and a lofty clerestory, both lighted by beautifully-painted glass windows. The height of the roof of the nave is 92 feet, and of the cupola 192. The glass of the windows of the choir, of the roses in the transepts, and over the western entrance behind the organ, is of the 13th cent. The marble statues of Jesus and Mary in the first chapel, N. side of choir, are of the 16th cent., and the altar piece, with reliefs in wood, of the 17th cent. Troyes: Henry V. Salle Simard. Before the high altar in this church Henry V. of England was affianced to the Princess Catherine, daughter of Charles VI. of France, on the 20th May 1420. Next day the famous treaty was signed, which secured the crown of France to Henry by the exclusion of the dauphin Charles, whenever the poor mad Charles VI. should cease to live. Behind the high altar in the Lady chapel is a Madonna by Simard, and the window containing the oldest glass in the church. A stair to the right of the high altar leads to the treasury, of no great interest. It contains croziers of the 13th century, reliquaries of St. Loup and St. Bernard, with enamels of the 12th century, a tooth of St. Peter in a small gold box, etc. In the reliquary of St. Bernard is a bit of the skull of an Irish primate, St. Malachie, who lived between the 11th and 12th centuries. A few yards to the N. of the cathedral is the building containing the _Library_, open from 10 to 3, with 125,000 volumes and 3600 MSS., in a large hall, with windows composed of curiously-painted panelled panes. Among the illuminated books are a Bible of St. Bernard and St. Paul’s Epistles, 12th century. In the same building are the Museum, or picture gallery, with paintings by Watteau, Coypel, Mignard, etc.; and the _Salle Simard_, containing a valuable collection of the Models made by Simard for his statues and works in relief. Also some statuary by Girardon, and other French sculptors. The museum is open to the public on Sundays and feast-days from 1 to 4. On other occasions a small fee is expected. A short distance eastward from the cathedral is the Hospice, and a little beyond St. Nizier, with painted panel panes in the window of the sacristy. The glass in the windows of the church is of the 16th century. Westward, in Rue Urbain IV., is a gem of Gothic architecture, the church of St. Urbain, built by that Pope towards the end of the 13th century. The high altar occupies the place where his father used to sit in the exercise of his calling, which was that of a cobbler. A short way N. is St. Remi, 14th century, with a bronze crucifix over the altar by Girardon. Directly W. from St. Urbain, by the Rue de l’Hotel de Ville, is the _Hotel de Ville_, built according to the plans of Mansard, commenced in 1624, and finished in 13

1670. Beyond is St. Jean, 14th century. The high altar was sculptured by Girardon, while the painting of the Baptism of our Lord, forming the reredos of the altar, is by Mignard. Behind, in the chapel “O Sacrum Convivium,” are some good relief sculptures. From St. Jean, pass up northwards by the Rue de Montabert. At the N. corner of the first division is the Post Office; and at the end of the next division is La Madeleine, commenced in the 12th century, and remarkable for its magnificent jubé, or rood-loft, constructed by Jean de Gualde in 1508. The beautiful windows behind the altar belong to the same period. The nearly flat roof might have been called an achievement in Gothic architecture, if the vaulting did not show signs of weakness. West from St. Jean is St. Nicolas, 16th century, near the Hôtel Mulet. To the right of the entrance a broad staircase leads up to a Calvary containing a colossal statue of Christ. In the chapel below is a statue of our Saviour by Gentil, representing him as rising from the dead.

Near St. Nicolas is St. Pantaleon, 16th century. To the right on entering is a Calvary by Gentil. On the panels of the pulpit are beautiful reliefs in bronze by Simard. Behind the pulpit is the chapel of St. Crispin, the patron of shoemakers, containing curious groups. The glass of the windows is rich, while the numerous statues on consoles give the church the appearance of a statue gallery.

South from the church St. Pantaleon by the Rue de Croncels, and its continuation the Faubourg de Croncels, is the small chapel of St. Gilles. In this neighbourhood, 1½ mile northwards from the barracks of the Oratoire, by a road through gardens and fields, are the village and church of St. André, of which the principal feature is the west portal, constructed at the expense of the inhabitants in 1549, and ornamented by Gentil.

Those who prefer to drive through the town should follow the order we have adopted. A cab for four costs 3 frs. per hour; and for two, 2 frs. However, before entering request to see the tariff.

The weight known by the name of the Troy weight was brought from Cairo during the time of the crusades, and first adopted in this city. Troyes was the headquarters of Napoleon I. during his struggles in 1814.

Villeneuve-sur-Yonne.

PARIS MARSEILLES 79 458 VILLENEUVE-sur-yonne, pop. 5100. _Hotel_: Dauphin. In the old castle here of Pulteau the man “au masque de Fer” spent some days while on his way to the Bastile (p. 158). Villeneuve is joined to its suburb, Saint Laurent, by a bridge 700ft. long. 5 m. beyond, or 84 m. from Paris, is St. Julien du Sault, pop. 1500. _Hotel_: Des Bons Enfants. A poor town, nearly a mile from the station, but possessing a fine church, of which the greater part of the choir, as well as the S. and N. porches, belong to the 13th cent., and the remainder of the edifice to the 14th-16th cents. Overlooking the town, and distinctly seen from the station, is a ruined chapel belonging to the 13th cent.

PARIS MARSEILLES 91 446 JOIGNY, pop. 7000. A good resting-place. _Hotels_: The Poste, between the station and the bridge; the *Bourgogne, on the quay on the right bank of the Yonne, which is the principal promenade. The most important part of the town occupies the hill rising from the promenade, in which are situated St. André, the most prominent of all; St. Jean, 16th cent.; and St. Thibault, 15th cent.

PARIS MARSEILLES 96 441 LA ROCHE, on the Canal de Bourgogne, at the confluence of the Armançon and the Yonne. Large refreshment-rooms. Junction with branch line to Les Laumes, 79½ m. southwards, passing by Auxerre, Cravant, Sermizelles, Vezelay, Avallon, and Semur. (See map on p. 1.)

LA ROCHE TO AUXERRE, VEZELAY, AND LES LAUMES.

12½ m. S. from La Roche is Auxerre, pop. 16,500, on the Yonne and the hill rising from the river; Hôtel Laspard. Seen from the station, the most prominent object is the Cathedral, to the right is St. Germain, to the left St. Pierre, and, above St. Pierre, the Tour Guillarde or Clock Tower, at the market-place. The Cathedral, St. Etienne, was rebuilt in the 13th cent., over a crypt of the 11th. The tower over the western entrance is 230 feet high. The north and south portals are crowded with statues. The entire length of the church is 332 feet, and of the transepts 128 feet. 110 feet intervene between the floor and the vaulted roof of the nave and choir, and the pillars are 79 feet high. The great western window, and the end windows of the N. and S. transepts, contain superb glass set in light flamboyant tracery. Adjoining is the Préfecture, formerly the Episcopal Palace, built in the 13th cent. Near the Cathedral is the hospital and the church of St. Germain, with a curious crypt of the 9th cent., but restored in the 17th. Apply to the concierge at the gate beside the now isolated tower, 173 feet high, built in the 11th cent. St. Pierre, begun in the 16th and finished in the 17th cent., is in Italian-Gothic.

Near the Hôtel de l’Épé is the church of St. Eusebe, founded in the 12th cent. The most remarkable parts of the church are the tower, the capitals of the fascicled columns, and the glass of the windows around the chapel of the Virgin behind the high altar. In the principal walk is a statue of Maréchal Davoust. Coach from Auxerre to Pontigny and Chablis. (For Pontigny, see page 16.)

13 miles east from Auxerre is Chablis, pop. 3000, Hôtel Lion d’Or, on the Serein. The vineyards, occupying 30,000 acres, produce the well-known white wine, of which the best growths are those of Val Mur, Vauxdésir, Grenouille, Blanchot, and Mont de Milieu. When the quality of the vintage is good, the wines are dry, diuretic, and of a flinty flavour.

Cravant, pop. 1000, _Inn_: Hôtel de l’Espérance, on the Yonne, nearly a mile from the station, owing its importance to its position at 15

the junction of the branch to Clamecy, 22 miles S., with the line to Les Laumes, 56 miles S.E. Cravant is 85 miles from Nevers by Clamecy, and 116 miles from Paris by La Roche. (See map, page 1.)

Sermizelles. Vezelay.

37¼ miles from La Roche, 14¼ miles from Cravant, and 42½ miles from Les Laumes is Sermizelles, the station for Vezelay (6¼ miles distant), for which a coach awaits passengers. Fare, 1½ fr. At the station there is a comfortable little inn, the Hôtel de la Gare, where a private vehicle can be had (20 frs.) for visiting Vezelay, Pont Pierre-Perthuis (for the view), 2 miles distant, and St. Pêre; then back to Sermizelles Station. See also p. 354.

Vezelay, pop. 1300. _Inn:_ Hôtel de la Poste. An ancient and decayed town on the top of a hill, possessing one of the finest ecclesiastical edifices in France, the Church of the Madeleine; restored by Violet le Duc. The narthex belongs to the 12th cent., the nave and aisles to the 11th, and the choir and transept to the 12th and 13th. The length of the building is 404, and the height of the roof 70 feet. The exterior is unadorned, and supported by plain receding flying buttresses. The doors and tympanum of the western entrance are enclosed by a wide expanding circular arch with four sculptured ribs. Above rises a large window with boldly sculptured mullions. Within the doorway is a spacious narthex, of which the triforium is filled with antiquities connected with the monastery which adjoined the church. To appreciate the noble proportions, simplicity, and harmony of this vast edifice it is necessary to have the door between this narthex and the nave opened. The nave and aisles are lighted by forty small round-headed windows, and their roofs rest on forty semicircular arches springing from massive piers, with attached columns ornamented with the peculiar capitals of their period. A triforium runs round the transept and choir. Eleven circular columns, of one stone each, support the arches which enclose the sanctuary. From the S. side of the choir a door opens into what was formerly the “salle capitulaire,” built in the 12th cent. The cloister is a modern addition by Violet le Duc, who also constructed the altar in the beautiful crypt below the choir. Near the abbey church is St. Martin’s, 12th cent., and St. Etienne, now used as a storehouse. The Port St. Croix (15th cent.), as well as parts of the fortifications, still remain. Becket. Thomas à Becket celebrated mass in the Madeleine on the 15th May 1166; when also, with the awful forms provided by the Roman ritual, he pronounced sentence of excommunication against John of Oxford and others, and would have included Henri II. himself, had he not been informed that the King at that time was seriously ill. At Vezelay, in 1190, the crusaders under Richard Cœur-de-Lion joined those under Philippe-Auguste to set out on the third crusade. Vezelay is the birthplace of Theodore Beza (June 24, 1519), one of the pillars of the Reformed Church. In his arms Calvin expired.

1¼ m. from Vezelay is St. Pêre, pop. 2000, with a beautiful church of the 14th cent., but the elegant steeple is of the 13th. 5 m. from St. Pêre is the Château Baroche, which belonged to Marshal Vauban.

9½ m. E. from Sermizelles by rail is Avallon, pop. 6000, on the Cousin. _Hotels:_ Chapeau Rouge; Poste. The parish church of St. Lazare, 12th cent., is a beautiful but somewhat peculiar specimen of Burgundian architecture. Coach awaits passengers at the station for Saulieu, 17 miles distant, pop. 4000. Hôtel de la Poste. An interesting town with a church, St. Andoche, 12th cent. The vineyards of Avallon produce good wine. The best keeps well in bottle from fifteen to twenty years. 10 miles S.W. from Avallon is the Forêt de Morvan, whence Paris receives firewood, sent down the Yonne and Seine in rafts.

After Avallon comes Rouvray, with vineyards producing good wine, and then, 20 miles from Avallon and 12½ from Les Laumes, is Semur, pop. 4150. _Hotels:_ Côte d’Or; Commerce. Picturesquely situated on the Armançon, about a mile from the station. The parish church of Notre Dame was founded in 1065 by Robert I., Duke of Burgundy, rebuilt in the 13th cent., and repaired in 1450. The entrance is provided with a sculptured porch. The windows of the N. aisle contain fine old glass; the subjects are portrayed with great expression and quaintness. In this part is a beautifully wrought tabernacle of one stone 16½ feet high. At each transept is a small cloister. There are some pleasant walks around and about the town. The dungeon tower and part of the ramparts still remain. 12½ miles N.E. this branch line joins the main line at Les Laumes, 160 miles from Paris. (See page 19, and map page 1.)

PARIS MARSEILLES 107½ 429½ SAINT FLORENTIN, pop. 3000. _Inns:_ At station, H. de la Gare. In town, H. Porte Dilo. Pilgrims to Pontigny alight here, whence a coach starts in the afternoon for Chablis and Ligny, passing within a mile of Pontigny. There is a small inn at the part where the Pontigny road separates from the Chablis road.

Saint Florentin is on an eminence more than a mile from the station. The parish church, 12th to 15th cents., is small, but interesting. The windows contain 15th and 16th cent. glass, repaired with modern pieces. The sanctuary is surrounded by a screen composed of slender colonnettes standing diagonally, and is shut off from the nave by a beautiful rood-loft. Behind the high altar, which is elaborately sculptured, is a relief, 1548, sadly mutilated, representing the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

At Pontigny there is a small but comfortable inn, the Hôtel St. Éloi, but pilgrims to the shrine of St. Edmund are generally lodged in the abbey buildings. From Pontigny a coach runs every other day to Auxerre, 13 m. S.W., stopping at a café near the station. The greater part of the church of Pontigny was built in 1150. It is a plain vast edifice with narthex and round turret at main entrance. The interior, which is grand and imposing, is 355 ft. from W. to E., 72 ft. 17

wide, and 72 high, and is upheld by 30 arches springing from lofty massive piers. There are 11 chapels in the choir, but none in the nave. A row of small round-headed windows extends round the church below the arches, and another, exactly similar, above them. In a shrine, 18th cent., behind the high altar are the bones of St. Edmund, Archbishop of Canterbury, who died in 1243 at a village in the neighbourhood. The original shrine, a plain wooden coffin, is upstairs in the cloister. The view of the interior of the building is spoilt by an ugly screen, rendered necessary to shut off the sanctuary from the rest of the church to make it more comfortable for the villagers, whose parish church it has now become. The abbey buildings, of which parts still remain in good condition, were inhabited by Becket. In the treasury is the black strip of a stole he used to wear, sewed on to another stole. Also relics of St. Edmund, and curious deeds connected with him and others, who had retired to this, then an austere Cistercian monastery. The walls of the cloister are hung with engravings representing scenes in the life of St. Edmund.

Becket arrived at this abbey on the 29th of November 1164, and remained till Easter 1166. From Pontigny he went to Vezelay, and from Vezelay to Sens.

PARIS MARSEILLES 123 414 TONNERRE, pop. 6000, on the Armançon. _Inns:_ Lion d’Or; Courriers—both near each other. The street St. Pierre, to the left of the Lion d’Or, leads past the church of Notre Dame (now condemned) up to the cemetery, and to the church of St. Pierre, situated on a terrace right above the town. At the foot of this hill is a beautiful spring of water, enclosed in a circular basin about 40 feet in diameter, called the Fosse Dionne; but it is in a dirty part of the town, and used by the washerwomen. A straight street to the right of the Lion d’Or leads down to the hospital, built in 1834, the original part of which, built by Marguerite de Bourgogne in 1293, is now the church of the hospital. Her remains repose under a beautiful mausoleum in front of the high altar (died September 4, 1308). To the left is the mausoleum of the Marquis de Louvois (died 1691). The arrondissement of Tonnerre produces some excellent wine.

PARIS MARSEILLES 127½ 409½ TANLAY, pop. 1000, on the Armançon. A small village with a handsome castle in an extensive park. The oldest part was built by Guillaume de Montmorenci, in 1520, but by far the largest portion by a brother of Admiral Coligny, in 1559. The vast façade is flanked by two wings. The principal court is 79 feet by 36. In a 18

room in the second story of the Tour de la Ligue the leaders of the Protestant party used to meet under the presidency of Admiral Coligny. A fresco on the ceiling represents, under the disguise of the gods of Olympus, the persons who took the most prominent part in the political and religious events of that period. Catherine de Médicis is portrayed as Juno, Charles IX. as Pluto, and the Condé as Mars. Round the room are a series of curiously-constructed recesses, communicating with each other in the walls. The largest of the splendid chimney-pieces is 12½ feet high by 7 wide. Beyond the grounds are the ruins of the abbey of de Quincy, and the well of St. Gaultier, both of the 13th cent. At this station is a coach for Cruzy-le-Chatel, pop. 1000, time 1 hour 45 minutes, among forests, and famous for truffles.

Ancy-le-Franc. Montbard.

PARIS MARSEILLES 136 401 ANCY-LE-FRANC, pop. 2000. The fine castle here was commenced in 1545, and built according to the plans of Primaticcio.

PARIS MARSEILLES 142 395 NUITS-SOUS-RAVIERES, pop. 700. Important junction with the Paris and Bâle line, by Troyes (see page 11), by a branch extending 72 miles north-east to Bricon, passing Châtillon, 22 miles north-east from Nuits. In the environs of Nuits-sur-Armençon are the ruins of the castle of Rochefort, 17th and 18th cents.

C. B. Black's guidebook, first published in 1885, presents the South of France—East Half as a series of railway routes, each annotated with practical details and local color. The author's voice is that of a seasoned traveler who has personally inspected the hotels, roads, and landmarks he describes. He does not merely list facts; he offers judgments, such as which hotels are "especially good of their class" and which establishments "do not receive promiscuous company." The guide is built around the traveler's experience, from the mean winter temperature of Monte Carlo (49.3°F) to the cost of a cab ride to Menton (15 francs).

Black's prose is precise and occasionally dry, but it reveals a sharp eye for detail. He notes the placement of a cemetery wall, the number of cushioned arm-chairs in a concert hall (600), and the historical punishment of a relic thief. These observations ground the guide in a specific time and place, making it a valuable record of late-19th-century travel.

Hotel Ratings and the Language of Class

Black employs a systematic rating system for hotels, using numbers and asterisks to denote quality. First-class houses are marked with a "1," second-class with a "2," and an asterisk signifies that they are "especially good of their class." This system is explained at random points in the text, suggesting that the reader is expected to encounter it organically. In La Condamine, for example, he lists hotels with prices ranging from 8 to 10 francs per day, while on Monte Carlo, the rates climb to 15–20 francs. The asterisk appears on hotels like the Beau Rivage and the Grand Hotel, which "do not receive promiscuous company," a phrase that reveals social hierarchies of the era. Black's attention to these distinctions reflects the guide's intended audience: middle- and upper-class travelers who valued comfort and exclusivity.

Historical Anecdotes as Local Color

Black enriches his descriptions with historical incidents that are often gruesome or peculiar. In Monaco, he recounts that in 1070, Prince Hugues ordered the nose and ears of Captain Antinopes to be cut off for stealing the relics of St. Devota. This story is inserted into a paragraph about the parish church and the harbor, blending practical information with a sense of the past. Similarly, he notes that the Casino was built by F. Blanc, a native of Avignon who formerly owned the Cursaal of Homburg. These details are not essential for navigation, but they give the guide a distinctive character. Black does not moralize about gambling; he simply describes the layout of the rooms, the orchestra of nearly 80 musicians, and the betting limits (5 to 6000 francs). The historical anecdotes serve as markers of place, connecting the present landscape to its layered history.

Descriptive Precision in Landscape and Architecture

Black's descriptions of the Riviera are notable for their specificity. He writes of Monaco that "the rocks are covered with prickly pear plants, here very abundant," and that the Jardin St. Martin is "a very pretty promenade, with charming views." The Casino is described as "a large and showy building" with a concert-room "profusely decorated with gilt ornaments intermingled with paintings in fresco." He notes the number of cushioned arm-chairs (600) and the subdued colors of the stage. This precision extends to the geography: Monte Carlo is "not an isolated rock like Monaco, but the abrupt termination of a ridge sloping upwards." Black's language is functional but vivid, allowing the reader to visualize the setting. He also includes practical details, such as the location of the English chapel "above the Hôtel Victoria" and the omnibus route from the Casino to Nice.

The Guidebook as a Record of Travel Infrastructure

Black's guide is deeply concerned with the infrastructure of travel: railways, roads, cabs, and omnibuses. The routes follow the main railways, and he provides mileage numbers and fares. In Monaco, he lists cab fares: 1½ francs within the principality, 3 francs per hour, and 15 francs to Menton and back. He notes the omnibus that runs between Monte Carlo and Nice by the new road, departing from the Casino. The guide also includes information about postal services, churches, and restaurants. Black's attention to these details reflects the practical needs of the traveler, but it also documents the state of transportation in the 1880s. The mention of "the new road" and the railway viaduct at La Condamine indicates a region in transition, where modern infrastructure was reshaping the landscape. Black's guide captures this moment with clarity and authority.

Black's guidebook rewards the reader who appreciates both practical advice and historical texture. His voice is that of a knowledgeable companion, not a mere compiler of facts. The careful reader will notice how his descriptions of hotels, roads, and landmarks reveal the social and economic conditions of the late 19th century. The guide is best used as a reference for specific routes, but it also offers a window into the experience of travel in an era before mass tourism. Black's attention to detail—from the number of orchestra members to the price of a cab—makes this a valuable document for anyone interested in the history of the Riviera or the evolution of guidebooks.

There’s a moment in the old Riviera guidebook where the author lingers on the quiet weight of a Provençal village at dusk, and it made me think of how another traveler once recorded a very different heat, a very different stillness. I found myself reaching for Travels and discoveries in North and Central Africa, Vol. 2 (of 5) — Themes and Context, remembering that both books share a peculiar tenderness for place—a sense of not merely passing through, but pausing, almost against one’s will, to listen.

There are no reviews for this eBook.

0
0 out of 5 (0 User reviews )

Add a Review

Your Rating *
There are no comments for this eBook.

Reader reflection

What was your reading experience?

Capture what you thought, learned, and would like to remember.

Your progress 0 / 10
1

Where are you in your reading?

2

How did the book work for you overall?

3

Is this a title you would suggest to others?

4

How much effort did this book require?

Related eBooks